On June 27, 2014, Urban Voice conducted the 4th task force meeting and historical site visited to National Museum of Cambodia. 30 participants were university students and community youths.
The meeting started at 8am to 9am. After the projected team had present the Urban Voice project activities, at about 9:30 am, the team led the participants to visit National Museum. Guided by tour guide, all students and youths could understand well about the historical of National Museum, culture and civilization of Khmer history. Especially, all students and Urban Voice team had enjoyed with taking photos during the visit.
At 12 pm, Urban Voice team and all students had a nice lunch at Baan Thai restaurant before resuming work at meeting room at HAGA. After lunch, all students did small group discussion, sharing their feelings and what they learned from the visit National Museum of Cambodia to each other.
The task force meeting ended at 5 pm. There were many requests from participants such as Urban Voice should organize more social event so that they can participate and learn more.
Here the result of group discussion:
- What do you feel after visiting National Museum of Cambodia?
- It’s very amazing and interesting because inside of museum, there are a lot of heritage properties such as traditional sculptures.
- I am proud of myself to be born as Khmer. Because I am a generation of ancestor’s Angkor architecture.
2. What did you see and learn from this site visit?
- We had learn a lot such as Khmer history and tradition, culture, style and types of art, and religion. It was very great for our ancestors that kept those cultural heritages remaining until now, particularly those left for over one thousand years, yet they are still looking strong.
- We knew the Museum location and its environment
- We saw many National and International tourist visited National museum of Cambodia
- We saw many ancient sculptures and statues made by stone, bronze and copper.
- We saw ancient properties such as bracelets, furniture, and other use material.
- We understood about Khmer history related to nation religion, statues, and use tools in each periods, and the structure of the construction of National Museum and constructors and the date of construction.
- For foreign monks and foreign tourists are required to purchase a ticket. Meanwhile, we also was man many kinds of ancient statues both Hindu and other Buddha statues with a variety of arts. In addition, we found other tools used in ancient time such as axes, swords and spear.
- We learned about the historical of statues and its meaning. We knew the location and the purpose of the visit. Moreover, we also knew about the geography and location of the country, including the Royal Palace of the Khmer kings from one generation to one another.
- We saw the displaying of the statue styles by name, types, and date.
- The decline and evolution of politic, controlling, arts and the dressing.
- We knew the foreign invasion, the purpose of temple construction and understanding of the empire land of the previous regime.
- We knew the fracture dividing the unity of the leader and the Royal Family (territorial divisions Khmer)
- We knew the proposing on learning about history and nationalism with protecting and maintaining our cultures.
3. As a good citizen what should you do to deal with those issues?
- We would like to suggest for every visitor has to obey the regulation of National Museum.
- We together have to protect our ancient sculptures and properties.
- We have to protect cultural heritage from illicit trafficking
- We would like to suggest to all people that if they see Cambodian cultural heritage illicit trafficking, you should inform to the related competent authorities.
- We should establish an local association to protect the cultural heritage
- We should keep the environment clean around the temple
- We should reinforce the laws for protecting all cultural heritage.
- Seriously punish the perpetrator who traffic the cultural heritage.
- We should promote and share our cultural heritage on protecting and encourage people to learn more about history of those cultural heritage.
- We should encourage the people to reserve cultural heritage
- The cultural heritage department should make report about cultural heritage yearly about it status and condition.
- The state should use the revenue received from tourists to repair the temples which were broken down.
- The state should offer a good payment to support the staff who protect and repair the cultural heritage.
Please watch the video bellow!